Burke Devlin's blog about his experience in the Weber State Dental Hygiene Program
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Special Needs
My patient this morning was a special needs patient that Eric had seen yesterday and refered to me because my patient canceled. She was somewhat mentally handicapped and had a caretaker. I found it to be a very different appointment because of her mental state. When she first opened her mouth she had plaque caked all over the quad that Eric had cleaned the day before. I asked her if she had brushed and she told me yes. I'm pretty sure she was lying. I've heard alot of mentally handicapped people will do that just like little kids do sometimes to avoid being in trouble. Anyway I used some dislosing agent on her and showed her all of the plaque. I then went over toothbrushing with her and taught her some ways to better access the areas she was missing. She was a very nice lady overall tihngs went well. This afternoon I saw my mockboard patient again and got two more quads done on her. It was a good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment